Kids' Haven is a grief support center for children ages 3 to 18 years old and their families. It is the only program of its kind in central Virginia. Our mission is based on four principles:
- Grief is a natural and healthy response to death f
or young children, teens, and adults.
- Within each individual is an instinctive inclination and capacity to self-heal.
- The duration and intensity of the grieving process are unique to each individual.
- Caring and acceptance assist in the healing process.
Grief Support Group Nights are held twice-monthly at St. John's Episcopal Church, 200 Boston Ave Lynchburg VA.
In these groups, children participate in age-appropriate activities and conversations that facilitate the grieving process. A parent or guardian is required to accompany their children to Group Night. These adults meet in a separate group and have an opportunity to support one another both in their own grief and in the care of their grieving children. Participation in the adult group is optional.
Kids’ Haven was founded as a community outreach project of the Junior League of Lynchburg. In 1998 we were chartered as an independent not-for-profit organization with the sole mission of serving, through the provision of support and educational programming, the unique needs of children grieving the death of a person who was significant in their lives.
There is no charge to participants in any Kids’ Haven support program.
Next Group Night...
Some of our facilitators:
Kids' Haven offers School Based Support Groups.
Kids' Haven can offer support to your school in many ways.
- Workshops, presentations, and/or in-service to your staff to provide education on children's grief.
- Individualized consultations and case specific resources for the grieving child or group in your school.
- Access to Kids' Haven resource lending library
- Kids' Haven will work in collaboration with the school counselor program in your school. School counselors may contact Kids' Haven at any time during the school year to set up a meeting with our Program Director, Ginna Haske to further discuss the needs in your school.
- School groups can provide grief support for children during the school day which is especially helpful for children who may be unable to access our Group Night meetings.
Kids' Haven currently has school based groups in the following local schools:
- E.C Glass High School
- Heritage High School
- Linkhorne Middle School
- Sandusky Middle School
- Sandusky Elementary School
- R.S. Payne Elementary
- T.C. Miller Elementary
- Dunbar Middle School
- James River Day School
Kids' Haven is looking to expand into other schools in the area. Please contact us today for more information on partnership with Kids' Haven in your school.